Burleigh County North Dakota printer friendly page
Highway Department

General Information

County Blade on gravel road.
The main county shop is located at 8100 43rd Ave NE Bismarck, ND 58503. The County Engineer's office as well as the Road Superintendent's office is located at this location. This is a full service shop that performs maintenance and repairs of all types and houses much of the equipment used to maintain the county and township road system within Burleigh County.

The winter office hours at the Bismarck shop are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The summer office hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:00am to 5:30 pm, and 7:00 am to 5:00 pm on Fridays.

In addition to the Bismarck shop, there are three other satellite shops located within Burleigh County. They are located in Wilton, Wing, & Sterling. These facilities house motor graders, snow equipment and other maintenance items. There is no office staff at these facilities and often are unattended as employees are usually working outside the shops on the roads or other projects.

The Highway Department employs 39 regular employees year round. In addition, during the summer months, 8 to 10 temporary employees are employed to assist with construction projects and other seasonal tasks.

The Highway Department is overseen by a County Commissioner that is assigned to the Highway Department portfolio. To see all the current County Commissioner portfolio assignments or to view current County Commissioner contact information click here.

Are you a new resident to rural Burleigh County? Click here for a quick general information reference page.

Most residents think that the Burleigh County Highway Department is funded by their property taxes. The fact is that the department is funded almost solely by the motor fuels tax. There is a small contribution in the amount of mill annually, or approximately $60,000 county wide, (including the city of Bismarck) that is derived through property taxes. For more tax information, see the County Auditor's web page or contact that office.

Back to website